About the Region
Aiken, South Carolina sits 15 miles east of Augusta, Georgia and 60 miles west of Columbia, South Carolina, and just east of the Savannah River which separates Georgia and South Carolina. Aiken and North Augusta are in Aiken County, which is part of the larger Central Savannah River Area (CSRA).
Aiken Regional Medical Centers was named 2018's “Best Small Town in the South” by Southern Living Magazine.
Aiken is known for its thoroughbred horses and equestrian activities – races, polo and steeplechases – and lush gardens and Hitchcock Woods, one of the largest urban forests in the nation. Also, Aiken County is home to the area’s minor league baseball team, the Augusta GreenJackets, voted the best minor league ballpark in 2018.
Edgefield County is one of the largest peach producers in the United States and produces 60 percent of South Carolina’s peaches.
The largest part of Lake Murray, which is 50,000 acres of lake and 500 miles of shoreline, is located in Lexington County.
Home to Augusta, Georgia, the second largest and oldest city in Georgia, the city prides itself as home to the annual Masters Golf Tournament, the Godfather of Soul – James Brown, and the location of the still-standing, boyhood home of President Woodrow Wilson.
Approximate distances of airports from Aiken, South Carolina:
- Augusta Regional Airport (AGS), Augusta, Georgia (23 miles)
- Columbia Metropolitan Airport (CAE), Columbia, South Carolina (54 miles)
- Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP), Greenville, South Carolina (115 miles)
- Charleston International Airport (CHS), Charleston, South Carolina (129 miles)
- Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (SAV), Savannah, Georgia (133 miles)
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT), Charlotte, North Carolina (149 miles)
- Asheville Regional Airport (AVL), Asheville, North Carolina (158 miles)
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Atlanta, Georgia (172 miles)